Monday, June 10, 2013

BLOG: WHAT IF ALL YOUR MAKEUP DISAPPEARED!!??

EEK!! What a thought!

So, I'm feeling a bit rushed as I'm getting ready for a client today and I have this very fleeting and insane thought like, "geez, wouldn't it be nice not to have to put makeup on every day?"  Then came the proverbial smack in the head as I pondered what that would truly mean.  So let me ask you...

HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WOKE UP ONE DAY AND ALL THE MAKEUP HAD DISAPPEARED FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH?

Not just yours, but every other woman's.  Feeling scared?  Having a panic attack?  Or feeling freed from the pressures of society to look a certain way, act a certain way and BE a certain way?  I imagine that there would be many, many men trying to pull their trembling girlfriends and wives out from under their beds.  Just the fact that they are trying to get them out should mean something!

Years ago, I had a friend who swore to me that her husband of 14 years had NEVER seen her without makeup on.  That conversation went something like this...

ME: Seriously, he's never seen you without makeup?
HER: No, never
ME:  Never, ever?
HER: NO
ME:  How is that even possible?
HER: I sleep on my back with makeup on and rise early.  I shower and have fresh makeup on by the time he gets out of bed.
ME: Doesn't he like you without makeup?
HER: I dunno... he's never seen me without makeup on.
ME: (trying to wrap my head around this)  How about when you're working in the yard? Swimming? Giving birth to your TWO children?   How about.... you know... hubba hubba... ?
HER: No, NO, NOOO and especially NO!!

I finally gave up.  She had truly convinced me that she was serious.  I think at that point I was so in shock that I didn't ask the fundamental question....


WHY?

Why are we fearful to go out in public with no makeup on?  Because people will think we are ugly?  Because people will think we are not taking care of ourselves? Because people will think we are sick?  Do we wear makeup as a shield?  And if so... what do we feel shielded from?  


A couple of weeks ago, I hurt my back and went to the Chiropractor.  Any of you who know what it's like to have your face smashed into that tissue paper in the slot of a chiropractor's table can understand why I choose not to wear makeup that day.  I was just going there to get my spine wined and dined and then straight home.  Well, wouldn't you know... as I arrived and was getting out of my car I see my scuba instructor exiting.  My first thought was,  Oh Lord... I don't have makeup on!!   I got out of the car, greeted him and nervously said something like, "Oh great, I run into someone I know when I have no makeup on".  His response was, "That's okay... I've seen you in the pool!"  LOL  I didn't quite know how to take that, but it did make me feel better.  I like a guy who can handle a girl without her shield.  

I've gone through many stages of makeup 'weardom' in my life.  I've been in the stage when I wouldn't go to the grocery store without makeup.  I've been in the stage when I didn't want a boyfriend to see me with no makeup on.  Now, I'm in a rather hybrid stage where I am okay going to the grocery store or for a walk or to the pool with no makeup on.  I still wear it when doing business or when socializing but I think this topic could use some discussion...

C'mon Ladies... (or men, for that matter).  What are your thoughts on this topic?  

www.facebook.com/breakawayphoto

No comments:

Post a Comment